Monday, March 30, 2015

3/30/15-baking

I have shared my Kitchenaid story before...but will share it yet again...

My mom purchased a Kitchenaid mixer for me for my wedding (even before I met my husband-to-be!)...more than 20 years ago. After many a batch of cookies, and loaves of bread, it quit working  November 2014-just in time for holiday baking. I debated about buying a new one, but I didn't want to think about throwing the other one out...as my mom had died October 2013.

My husband mentioned sending it back into Kitchenaid to get fixed. Well, I wasn't really excited about that, thought it would be a big hassle. Thought, "Yeah, it's like sending your Stanley thermos back in and getting it replaced...it doesn't ever really happen".

I finally broke down, in January, and called Kitchenaid. For a modest fee (about $35) they sent out a box with styrofoam packing for me to send my mixer to them in. The box came with a packing label, so I didn't have to pay additional shipping. The mixer arrived in Ohio on February 10th. The hardest part about getting it shipped was trying to coordinate a pickup from Fed-Ex! I finally just hauled the box into the city (50 miles away) to the Fed-Ex location.

After a few weeks, I began to wonder if my mixer ever made it to Ohio. So, I called and left a voicemail. I was sure that no one would call me back...but they did! And guess what, they left me a detailed message, not just a "I am returning your call". So, I knew that my mixer was going to be one of the next ones worked on.

Kitchenaid called again to say that the insides of my mixer needed replaced. The charge for that? Less than $60!!! So, for less than a hundred dollars, I have the mixer that my mom gave me...and it still works-20 years later.



So, here is my new-again mixer and some of it's wonderful work completed!

That, btw, is a King Arthur Flour Class White Sandwich Bread recipe:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/king-arthurs-classic-white-sandwich-bread-recipe

A few variations: I use milk instead of water and powdered milk, and I use olive oil instead of melted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment